Monday, September 29, 2008

For Emily

new favorite moment
to file away
to bring out
when you are grown:
nap-time snuggles in your new big-girl bed
face to face so close
I can smell your dorito breath.
I reach to caress your sweet chubby cheek
and you in turn pat mine
with your little warm hand.
My heart with that delicious ache
of almost bursting.
For a moment we both fight sleep:
you, to avoid the dreaded Nap
me, so I can creep away when you sucumb.
"I love you Emily"
"Love you too mom-mom. Soso much."
And then you roll away
snuggling deeper into your pillow.
Mission accomplished.
But this time I find myself
almost wishing
you would beg for a story
one more song
just to prolong
this tender moment.
I stare a few seconds at your little back
then, before I miss my opportunity
I go to tend to laundrydishesbills.

No comments: