Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Mom mom

Sometimes the name "mom" is my least favorite word in the world. When it is being called out in anger during a fight between siblings. When it is being whined. When it is repeated over and over -- often even after I have said, "what?" more than once. When it is repeated for the 17 millionth time in a particular day. I have decided that I know why Heavenly Father has asked us not to take His name in vain. Could you even imagine what it feels like to have your name cried out in anger, whined, and repeated . . . multiplied by 5 billion? I have asked my children not to take my name in vain, but in this they aren't any more obedient than Earth's general population. Sometimes the name "mom" represents the constant pull I feel of needy little people overwhelming me. Their cries distract me, and peck mercilessly at my mind's every thought.

Sometimes the name "mom" is my very favorite word in the world. When it accompanies a declaration of love. When it prefaces a humble request for help. The first time each of my six children has truely learned it. Any time it is voiced with admiriation and respect. I think I know why Heavenly Father has asked us to come to Him in prayer. Can you feel him there, returning your love, ready to help, eager for us to learn more of Him? I am so thankful to each of my children for the blessed moments of motherhood that I find so fulfilling.

I have had thoughts along these lines many times throughout my 15 years of motherhood. I got thinking about it again recently because my Emily often calls me "mom mom." It is baby talk, but it fills me with warmth, and I began to wonder why I like that name so much. I have been called by many appellations of motherhood: mom, mommy, mamma, mommylu, mother. Yet somehow, mom mom is the one I find the sweetest. I feel she is endowing me with all the blessings and love normally accorded to two moms. That she can't fit all that I mean to her in just one name. It fills me with resolve to overcome the trials that motherhood brings. The repetition is a prayer of thanks for who I am to her, of what I can and will do for her, of the love she knows I return so fully to my sweet sweet EmilyEmily.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

this was really touching and true. when i hear ambrose call out for me in the morning i want to groan, but the loving trusting way he asks for me melts my heart .... and then there are the times when he is supposed to be in time out or bed or nursery or something of that nature and i cringe and my stomach twists as he calls my name. i had never thought about equating taking the lords name in vain with motherhood, but it is so very true! i am so interested in the things you write. some make me want to race over to your house and give you a hand, some make me want to try harder to be a good mom, others give me things to look forward to or things to learn from- just like i learn from my other big sisters and their children.